Learner's Permit WA


To get your learner's permit in WA you must pass the Learner's Theory Test. The resources on this site should help you achieve this. You must also be 16 or older, prove your identity, pass an eyesight test, be medically fit to drive, and pay the permit and test fees (we can’t help with this).

Permit features

When you pass the Learner's Test, your WA learner's permit is issued for 3 years or until you get your Red Ps (provisional licence)

If you do not progress, your learner permit will expire and cannot be extended/renewed. You will not have to re-sit the theory test if you have passed the test in the last 5 years. Fees apply for replacing an expired learner permit.

In addition to following the road rules like all road users should, there are specific rules associated with a learner permit. Disobeying these additional rules could result in heavy fines or loss of licence.

Blood Alcohol Concentration Zero (no alcohol in your system)
Demerit points 4 points (as a Type 1 Novice)
Plate display L plates (black L on a yellow background) must be displayed clearly on front and back of the vehicle
Maximum speed limit The limit as signed (up to maximum of 100km/h)
Supervision A supervising driver must accompany you at all times while driving.

A supervisor must be a licensed/authorised driving instructor or a person who has held the same class of licence for at least 4 years (with conditions that enable them to instruct - drivers with the 'automatic' condition cannot instruct learners in a manual).

Mobile phone Drivers can only use a phone to make/receive calls if it is securely mounted or can be operated without touch (voice activated). It is illegal to use text, video or email messaging or similar communication while driving. GPS function can be used if the phone is securely mounted and does not need touch input.
Location  Do not drive within the boundaries of Kings Park
Class Only applies Class C - cars (not buses, trucks or motorcycles)

Requirements to progress to a provisional licence

To progress to your red Ps (provisional licence) you must complete 50 hours of supervised driving (including a minimum of 5 hours at night) and pass both the Hazard Perception Test and the Practical Driving Assessment (in that order).

These requirements must be completed in a specific order and based on certain time periods. The steps are outlined below:

Start towards your 50 hours experience

The first step towards a provisional licence is to get supervised driving experience. Before you can sit your Practical Driving Assessment, you must complete at least 50 hours with a supervisor (including a minimum of 5 hours at night). There is no maximum limit to the experience you can get before taking your driving test, so you should continue to gain experience beyond the 50-hour requirement until you feel comfortable.

Hazard Perception Test (HPT)

You must be at least 16 years 6 months old to attempt the Hazard Perception Test and 6 months must have passed since successfully obtaining your learner permit (having complete the Learner's Test).

You should sit the HPT only when you are a confident you will pass, having completed our practice tests many times.

Finish your 50 hours experience

Before you can sit your Practical Driving Assessment and drive independently, you must complete the 50 hours of supervised experience on your L plates. As you gain more experience and come closer to the 50 hours requirement, your experience should be slightly different. You are now preparing to drive independently and should be taking little to no instruction from your supervisor.

Once again, there is no maximum limit to the experience you can get before taking your Practical Driving Assessment, so you should continue to gain experience beyond the 25-hour requirement until you feel comfortable you can be safe while driving without supervision.

Try to get as much experience in varied conditions as possible during the 50 hours (or more) you complete.

Practical Driving Assessment (PDA)

You must be at least 17 years old to attempt the Practical Driving Assessment. You are not required to have held your learner permit for a minimum period (although you are required to have passed the HPT which has a 6-month minimum holding period). You can book and sit the PDA when you have passed the HPT, have the required 50 hours and feel ready.

Before the test can begin, your Log Book must be checked to confirm you and your supervisor have signed the declaration of complete and you're eligible to progress.

You should sit the PDA only when you are a confident you will be able to drive safely without supervision.

Check out the other resources available to help you pass the Learner's Test WA and get your learner permit (L plates):

For comprehensive information on the learner permit and WA Learner's Test, please refer to the Department of Transport website. The above information is a summary of this content and although current when published may now be outdated. To ensure you are accessing the most current and accurate information, use the DoT website or visit your nearest Department of Transport centre.